DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Graduates of the programme will be professionally competent and apply the fundamental concepts of mathematics, science and Civil Engineering to solve problems in Civil Engineering.
- Graduates of the programme will perform their responsibilities as professional Civil Engineers with quality and ethics.
- Graduates of the programme, as part of an organization or as Entrepreneurs, will continue to learn with evolving technologies.
- Graduates of the programme will innovate and provide global solutions for a sustainable built environment.
- Graduates of the programme will contribute to the development of sustainable Infrastructure for the betterment of society.
Program Outcomes (POs)
- PO1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, civil engineering fundamentals, and engineering concepts to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
PO3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex civil engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions to civil engineering problems.
- PO5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering tools such as NDT, CAD, STAAD.Pro, Primavera and GIS including prediction and modeling to complex Civil Engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional civil engineering practice.
- PO7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional civil engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the civil engineering practice.
- PO9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10. Communication: Communicate effectively in complex civil engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports, design documents, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage civil engineering projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
On completion of the degree, the students will be able to:
- Communicate and present civil engineering projects effectively.
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for civil engineering practice and project management.
- Provide sustainable solutions to civil engineering problems.
- Perform as design consultants in construction industry for the design of civil engineering structures.